“We share a commitment to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust and to honour those who stood against it.”
-- Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum on the Holocaust
"Understanding and Teaching Holocaust Education" by Paula Cowan and Henry Maitles, University of West of Scotland, is released by Sage Publishing.
The Holocaust is a controversial and difficult teaching topic that needs to be approached sensitively and with an awareness of the complex and emotive issues involved. This book offers pragmatic pedagogical and classroom-based guidance for teachers and trainee teachers on how to intelligently teach holocaust education in a meaningful and age-appropriate way.
Topics covered in the publication include:
· Practical approaches and useful resources for teaching in schools
· Holocaust education and citizenship
· Holocaust remembrance as an educational opportunity
· How to explore the topic of anti-semitism in the classroom
· Exploring international perspectives on holocaust education
To read more or to order a copy consult the Sage Publshing website.
Paula Cowan is a member of the United Kingdom Delegation to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance.