“We share a commitment to throw light on the still obscured shadows of the Holocaust.”
-- Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum on the Holocaust
On 25 November 2013 the first worldwide electronic and green information plaque in memory of deaf Jews who suffered during the Nazi era was inaugurated in Berlin.
The memorial plaque is located in the district of Berlin-Mitte at Rosenstrasse 2-4, which was the seat of the Association for the Promotion of the Interests of the Israelite Deaf-Mutes in Germany, founded in 1896. It is dedicated to the flourishing community of deaf Jews in Berlin before 1933, whose members, as a “double minority,” were subject to increased discrimination and persecution by the Nazi regime. The board is presented in German Sign Language and International Sign.