“Our commitment must be to remember the victims who perished, respect the survivors still with us, and reaffirm humanity's common aspiration for mutual understanding and justice.”
-- Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum on the Holocaust
On 5 November 2010 a model of Schloss Hartheim (Hartheim Castle) in Upper Austria was handed over to the Ambassador of the United States of America in Vienna, William Carlton Eacho, by the Secretary General for European and International Affairs, Johannes Kyrle, in the Foreign Ministry in Vienna/ Austria.
This model will shipped to California, where it will be exhibited as a permanent loan from Austria in the newly opened Los Angeles Museum of the Holocaust.
From May 1940 to December 1944, approximately 30,000 physically and mentally disabled were killed at Schloss Hartheim by gassing or lethal injection as part of the T-4 Euthanasia Program, named after the infamous Berlin address "Tiergartenstrasse 4". After World War Two, the building was converted into apartments. Since 1969, the gas chamber was opened to visitors. Hartheim Castle is now a Memorial Site dedicated to the thousands of physically and mentally handicapped persons who were murdered here by the Nazis. Additionally, about eight thousand prisoners from the Dachau and Mauthausen concentration camps were sent here to be murdered.