“Our commitment must be to remember the victims who perished, respect the survivors still with us, and reaffirm humanity's common aspiration for mutual understanding and justice.”
-- Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum on the Holocaust
On 5 September 2017, a memorial event took place at Kalevi-Liiva killing site in Estonia where in 1942 the first transports with Jews from Theresienstad/Terezin arrived at the nearby Raasiku railway station. Nazis and their local collaborators shot the majority of these people on the same day in the forest of Kalevi-Liiva. Later, throughout 1942 and 1943, Jews from Germany, Poland and other Central European countries as well as local Roma and Sinti were murdered at the site.
Image (right): Chief Rabbi of Estonia, Rabbi Shmuel Kot. Photos courtesy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Estonia
The Kalevi-Liiva dunes and forest became a killing site on September 5, 1942, when the first group of Czech Jews was shot at the site. In the spring of 1943, attempts were made to hide the murder. The mass graves were discovered only in 1961. In 1995-1996, the Jewish Community of Estonia erected a monument to commemorate the victims of the Holocaust. In 2002, the Czech, German and Polish embassies helped to renovate an information board on the killing site. In 2014, a memorial stone was inaugurated for the murdered Roma and Sinti. A separate memorial event for the Roma and Sinti victims of the Holocaust is annually held at the site on 2 August.